marisa a. bellair
Marisa is a partner in the law firm of Lynch, Traub, Keefe & Errante, P.C. Marisa is an experienced litigator who primarily focuses on personal injury, medical malpractice and other complex civil litigation matters in both state and federal state courts.
Throughout her career, Marisa has achieved many successful outcomes for her clients both in and out of the courtroom. She has secured numerous multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of her clients, including a $4 million verdict against the State of Connecticut following a fatal interstate accident, and a $2.7 million verdict for medical malpractice for failure to diagnose cancer, to name just a few. Marisa was also involved in a sexual abuse case that yielded a $12.5 million settlement. She has also been an instrumental part of many of the firms numerous other multi-million-dollar medical malpractice, personal injury, product liability and sexual assault verdicts and settlements.
Marisa has distinguished herself as a vigilant and dedicated attorney who pays particular attention to even the smallest details in her cases. Her unique ability to command both the facts and the legal principles of cases form the cornerstone of both her and her firm's numerous successes. Marisa's ability to grasp complex scientific and legal principles coupled with her analytical skills have proven to be valuable assets to her clients and her firm.
Marisa received her Juris Doctorate Degree from Quinnipiac University School of Law and a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Syracuse University. Throughout law school and upon graduation, Marisa received several awards, including the esteemed Dean's Award. Marisa has been featured in a cover story in Quinnipiac Law Magazine. She has been named a "New Leader of the Law" by the Connecticut Law Tribune. In addition, she has been named as a Super Lawyer Rising Star from 2009-2012 and has also been named as a Super Lawyer in personal injury-medical malpractice by Connecticut Magazine in each subsequent year and through the present time. Marisa has also been named to the Connecticut Law Tribune's Personal Injury Hall of Fame and is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Marisa is admitted to practice law in the State of Connecticut, the State of New York, the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut and the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. In addition to trial work, Marisa has also argued numerous appeals before the Connecticut Supreme and Appellate Courts and also the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Marisa is active with the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association (CTLA) and currently serves as the Treasurer of the organization. She also serves on the CTLA's Executive Committee, Board of Governors, Medical Malpractice Committee, General Tort Committee, Continuing Legal Education Committee and Communications Committee. She is a current co-chair of the General Tort Committee and a past co-chair of the Communications Committee and Women's Caucus. In addition, she has served as the co-chair and has been involved with various fundraisers sponsored by the CTLA, which have raised funds for Habitat for Humanity, The Newtown Memorial Fund, Wounded Warrior Project and the Connecticut Cancer Foundation, among others. Marisa is also an active member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ).
Marisa is also a member of the Connecticut Bar Association (CBA). She currently serves on CBA’s State of the Legal Profession Task Force. She previously served as the Vice-President of the New Haven County Bar Association Young Lawyers' Division and was a member of the Public Service Committee. Marisa also routinely serves as a judge for local Moot Court and Mock Trial competitions.
In her spare time, Marisa enjoys spending time with her husband, three boys and dogs, doing all of the things active boys like to do, such as skiing, swimming, hiking, and biking.
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff 60%
- Civil Litigation
- Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff 30%
- Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff 10%
- Appellate Practice
- Connecticut, 2001
- New York, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2003
- Quinnipiac College School of Law, Hamden, Connecticut
- J.D. - 2001
- Honors: Dean's Award
- Honors: Marci Karbane Moot Court Award
- Honors: Outstanding Legal Scholarship Award
- Honors: Service to the Law School Award
- Honors: Distinguished Academic Achievement Award in Legal Skills II
- Honors: Distinguished Academic Achievement in Lawyer's Professional Responsibility
- Honors: 1999 Moot Court Honor Society Intramural Competition: Final Bench Winner
- Honors: 1999 Moot Court Honor Society Intramural Competition: Best Brief Award
- Honors: 1999 Moot Court Honor Society Intramural Competition: Best Oral Advocate
- Honors: 1999 Moot Court Honor Society Intramural Competition: Best Overall Advocate
- Honors: 1999 Mock Trial Society Intramural Competition Winner
- Honors: 2000 National Appellate Advocacy Competition Quarterfinalist
- Honors: Moot Court Honor Society, President, 2000-2001
- Syracuse University
- B.A. - 1994
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Political Science
- The Southern Connecticut Gas Company
- Connecticut Natural Gas Corporation
- The United Illuminating Company
- UIL Holdings Corporation
- Sherwin Williams
- Inergy Propane
- iPads for Lawyers & Paraprofessionals, 2013 to 2013
- Winning the Defective Premises Action, 2013 to 2013
- iPads for Lawyers & Paraprofessionals: Set-up, Pre-Trial & Trial, 2013 to 2013
- Evidence and Experts at Trial, 2011 to 2011
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyer, Personal Injury/Medical Malpractice, Connecticut Magazine
- New Leader of the Law, Connecticut Law Tribune
- Super Lawyer, Rising Star, Connecticut Magazine
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 2000
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member, 2001
- American Association for Justice, Member, 2000
- New Haven County Bar Association, Member, Public Service Committee
- New Haven County Bar Association Young Lawyers' Division, Vice-President
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Letizia, Ambrose & Cohen, New Haven, Connecticut
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, Oriskany, New York